Church Bell
Every Sunday, at certain times of the day, the church bell use to ring in the village probably to signify a service or something like that, but I remember the sound anyway. Years went by and I forgot all about it and I came back to live in the village the was not being rang at all for whatever reason. The church eventually closed and is being done up as building for the community, in this renevation the bell is being fixed and it has just been taken down, and is being a fixed in a foundry in Loughborough which conincidentally I lived next to for a few year.
I am not sure how long the bell will be away getting sorted but it is having a few things done to as can be explained in the link
It seems to me there will be an electronic chime on and a way to swing chime with the aid of a bellringer.
The bell was originally made by G. and C. Mears of Whitechapel, London, who also crafted Big Ben and the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia. The Liberty Bell apparently broke and had to be recast in Philadelphia. This bell also broke, which is why it has the famous crack. I saw it on a trip to Philadelphia a long time ago, and I have a small replica ornament at home.
I am not sure how often the bell will be rang once its fixed but it will be nice to hear it again, before I lose my hearing too much, I guess it will be bring back memories

Comments
Post a Comment